As a former All-American athlete, I have experienced the joys and pitfalls of athletic performance and have endured rigorous training sessions that prepared me for national competition. I have learned from my personal and professional experience that success in sport is dependent on both the athlete and the external variables involved in athletic performance. The literature on athletic performance and the results of my numerous interviews with coaches and athletes indicate the following as key components of athletic success for the athlete:
- The athlete is mentally and physically competent in the sport
- The athlete believes in her/his own ability to perform well
- The athlete recovers well after a defeat or a sports injury
- The athlete can maintain mental focus regardless of physical pain or spectator input
- The athlete trusts and believes in the coach
- The athlete consistently engages in practice sessions to prepare for competition
- The athlete has confidence in the athletic equipment (shoes, racket, ball, etc.)
- The athlete accommodates well to diverse athletic environments (e.g. different stadium, adverse weather, loud fan base).
- The athlete works well with other members of a team (for team sports)
If you are struggling to excel in your sport, and are missing one of the key indicators of success listed above or if you have not been able to get back into your game after a sports injury or a failed competition, I would love to work with you. My use of strategic therapy and EMDR will help you to regain your competitive edge and your self confidence. The following are examples of athletic performance barriers that we can eradicate:
- You are having difficulty maintaining you mental focus in training and/or competitions
- You lack confidence in your abilities
- You have a bad relationship with your coach or other athletes on your team
- A personal issue is impacting your ability to compete well
- You lack confidence in your body’s ability to heal after an injury
I will set up an athletic performance plan with you to help you achieve peak performance and break free from the barriers described above. Your plan may be completed in 4-6 one hour sessions depending on your needs. A key component of the plan is your completion of a positive performance visualization. This is a tool that you will be able to use throughout your entire athletic career. The EMDR future template protocol will be used to help you develop this positive performance visualization. Visualization alone is a known research-based athletic performance enhancement tool and integrating performance visualization with EMDR can greatly enhance its impact.
The completion of your athletic performance plan may require input from your coach depending on your athletic abilities and desires. In person consultation with the elite or college athlete’s coach is mandatory. Phone or email consultation may be considered for other athletes. I will obtain your written authorization to consult with anyone before any consultation takes place.